LMCC – Early Bust Type Varieties
In the interest of furthering the study of what appear to be consular patterns of ornamentation on bust type B2 (laureate, cuirassed right) LMCC, only for the early period, notes varieties of B2 and designates them as B2.1, B2.2, B2.3, B2.4, B2.5 or B2.6. These varieties are not assigned separate catalogue numbers but the presence of one or more of them for a particular catalogue type is indicated by an asterisk after ‘B2’ in the Bust column in the catalogue. Where possible those varieties are illustrated in the plates and the variety is identified in the note to that catalogue entry. It is the hope of the authors that this system of notation will make it possible for future cataloguers to record their presence in hoards or collections and perhaps identify design patterns as yet unknown.
The following bust type varieties are noted and illustrated on pages 84-85 in LMCC.
- B2 Cuirass with single shoulder band, plain or with rivets
- B2.1 Cuirass with single shoulder band, ornamented with palm leaves
- B2.2 Cuirass with single shoulder band, ornamented with wavy or serpentine lines
- B2.3 Cuirass with single shoulder band, ornamented with a zig-zag or diamond pattern
- B2.4 Cuirass with multiple shoulder bands, plain or with rivets
- B2.5 Cuirass with multiple shoulder bands, one with palm leaves
- B2.6 Cuirass with multiple shoulder bands, two or more (all) with palm leaves
Any additional varieties that come to light will be noted with examples below.
- B2.7 Cuirass with wreath on breastplate
2.01.003 IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG Bust B2.7 (27.57 x 25.39 mm 10.15 g 6h). Authors’ collections.